Monday, July 9, 2012

Certification and Shopping with Kristyna!

Today was a big day for Mary and I, for today was the day that we would receive our open water dive certification and do two boat dives. I awoke at 0600 to begin this very exciting adventure and had my usual morning coffee with Kurt and Mary.

We had the usual breakfast of Raisin Bran w/milk and we had to eat quickly as we began eating at 0730 and had to depart at 0745 for an 0800 arrival at the boat. I devoured my Raisin Bran and gathered up my diving log book and both of our gear (water shoes, fins, and masks/snorkels) and stuffed it into the gear bag.

Mary then got a backpack for our logbooks, towels, sunscreen and my watch. We all piled into the Jeep (Kurt, Mary, an extremely sleepy Mitchell and I (not sleepy, thanks to the coffee!) and departed at 0750, thankfully arriving at 0758 at the MDA (Micronesian Divers Association) dock on time for the 0800 arrival.
Great morning for diving!
We waited until Ashley, our instructor arrived at 0805 and we began loading the tanks, our scuba gear, our gear and the backpack onto the boat. Upon embarking, we were briefed on the boat rules and after waiting for the five other divers, at 0840 (10 minutes after schedule) we set out for our first dive at Barracuda Rocks.

On the way out, we were briefed for our final class dive, that would earn us our divers certs, that we would have to remove and replace our mask underwater and clear it. Then, we would do our hovering (where you sit and establish neutral buoyancy.)

We then donned our gear, having assembled the gear before we left port, and did our buddy checks (BCDs, Weights, Air and Final Ok). Proceeding next, we had our fins on and masks on and strode in a large stride (as at the Gab Gab Dive) and jumped in.

After making sure we were both okay, Ashley gave us the signal to descend. Slipping beneath the water, deflating the BCD was a sensation that I was now no longer a stranger to. As I descended, I felt the pressure and would equalize as often as possible and if I couldn't, I would signal and we would ascend gently and wait for my ears to clear.

Once on the bottom at 60 ft roughly, we did the exercises and without any significant trouble, we completed them. Then we explored the area and after about a 40 minute dive, we ascended to the surface. I lost my fin as I tried to take one fin off with my other fin in my hand but I dropped it. Fortunately, Ashley retrieved it.

I then decided to solve this mistake that I would only remove a fin at a time and put it on the boat before doing my next fin. This system worked excellently on the next dive, Finger Reef, which is near Gab Gab and San Luis Beach. This was my first pleasure dive. As we dove to our max depth of 54 feet, I was in awe at the blue and the beauty of the ocean.
Just like at home, except not freezing cold!
I saw several species of fish, and even saw a sting ray swimming along, approx 30 feet off to the right of me.
Cool stingray!
After we debarked, we made our way to the MDA dive shop to get our temp dive cards but we will have to pick them up tomorrow as their system went down unexpectedly. So we went home and watched Kurt fix the Acura window with Mary's help! Way to go Kurt!

Then Kristyna decided to drag me along in the Jeep to the NEX to get hair supplies for her and headphones for Kurt. So I was hostage to the whims of a 16 year old driver who was concentrating on her hair!  Fortunately I got to drive back so it wasn't all bad.
Last stop at the NEX for this trip!
So, I am here at home, hanging out with the family.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. What a landmark day! We are really proud of you and Mary for working so hard to get dive certified!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! How exciting to be certified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everybody! It was a lot of work but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete