Monday, July 2, 2012

The Hike to the Corsair with Guam Smith and his companion Mitchell

This morning, I woke up at 0630 as usual.  After freshening up, I joined Mary and Kurt on the back porch for the usual morning coffee routine. We were discussing our morning plans and we decided Mitchell and I would hike to the old Orote Airfield; then into the jungle to see the crashed Corsair Kurt told me about.  Whilst waiting for Mitchell to wake up, I hung out in the living room, catching up on Facebook news and listening to music.

Then around 0930 Mitchell and I went down to the Jeep, after diligent searching we found the mosquito repellent and set out on the hike.  It was rather good for Guam weather, slightly humid and breezy.  However it was rather a long hike, going on the old runway and then through a really rough and moss covered jungle trail.
A long hot hike through the jungle
It seemed to get even more humid as we hiked along, dodging spider webs, leaping over logs and avoiding poison frogs!
Blue Guamanian Poison Dart Frog - Before stepping on!
After what seemed to be eternity, I believed the end was in sight, thinking I saw the Corsair through the trees and vegetation.  But, alas, it was a few more minutes afterwards that I caught sight of the warbird hulk. The engine was gone, the cockpit was totally looted, the rear fuselage and tail was gone, just the middle section of the Corsair was there. I sat, or rather stood, in the cockpit while looking around.
Jack in the F-4U Cockpit
F-4U firewall
Examining the fuselage
Fuselage details
Right Wing
Corsair Left Wing
Corsair Fuselage
Then we began the long and wretchedly humid hike through the jungle back towards home. It was miserable because of the distance and the humidity.
Mitchell gets a Poison Dart Frog, or not.
Nonetheless, Mitchell and I had fun walking back to the house.  Once we got back, I took a shower then a small road trip with Kurt and Mary to drop off their Jeep for A/C work and then returned home for a delicious lunch of chili.

Jack

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment