Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

This morning, I awoke at 0615 about fifteen minutes earlier than my usual wake up time to prepare for the long and busy day. I had my usual morning coffee with Kurt and Mary and talked with them about the upcoming day. I would be going to FreedomFest 2012 with them and I was excited. There would be games, snow cones, cotton candy and even old cars and a caribou! Then, I had toast and scrambled eggs, kindly made by Mary.

Before that however, Kurt and I were called upon as needed players in a soft ball game near the track where the fair was being held. We were in such a hurry, we forgot sunscreen and when we got there, Kurt had me finish parking the car and locking up, so he could get to the team before they forfeited the game. However, he soon came back and announced that all slots were full, so we turned back around and headed back home where we had breakfast.

At 0930, I set out with Kristyna to volunteer for an organization called "Fur Ever Kind of Love" a dog adoption/rescue organization. I helped set up the tables with doggie treats and other goodies for dogs that would visit the booth. When the Thomases arrived, I split with Kristyna to join them. We wandered around the track, having fun looking at the booths and having snow cons, hot dogs, hamburgers and chips!

We visited the caribou, which I had my picture taken with and I also got to watch a martial arts demonstration about defending yourself and take downs, by a former Army instructor.
Jack and the Caribou.  Jack is standing, not sitting and does not have sunglasses on.
Then, Kurt and I visited the classic cars, which included two Ford Mustangs, an Impala, a Chevy Nova, and best of all a SeaBee HMMV! (Humvee).

Jack in the Humvee
Pair of 1960s Mustangs
Jack and the Carryall
We also watched a schoolmate of Kristyna's perform in a one man band, who played several rock songs I recognize and did an incredible job playing the national anthem as the parachutist jumped onto the football field from the HSH-21 MH-60 helicopter.

MH-60 Helicopter
Parachutist who just jumped from the MH-60
After the fair, I found Kristyna and her friend and we headed back to the gym, where I played my first pickup game of basketball with Mitchell and his buddies. Turns out my team almost won, we lost 9-10, oh so close! Then I worked on perfecting my shots, then Kristyna suggested that I start home so I could finish studying for my scuba class tonight. I agreed and we came home with Mitchell's buddies and hung out in Kristyna's room, all talking as we played on our electronics.

Tonight, I have my scuba class from 6-8 with Mary, which I think I will do well in. Afterwards, we are coming home to a party that Kurt is hosting for the 4th!

Happy 4th everbody, and remember freedom is not free and those who died to preserve our freedoms!

Jack

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment