Saturday, June 30, 2012

Marlboro Caves and an eventful day

This morning I got up early and hung out in the living room while Mitchell was sleeping. In an hour (I got up at 7), the little kids came out to watch their daily fill of Aladdin. Then Kristyna came out and we waited while Kurt began making a breakfast of pancakes and sausage.

Next, Kurt invited his friend Joe, who happens to be the anti-terrorism officer of Naval Base Guam and his family to have breakfast. Then as we ate breakfast, we planned the outing for the day; going to a cave where we could swim called "Marlboro Caves."

The caves are located on the southern half of the northern part of Guam. After a short drive and a hike through the jungle to see the cliff side, we made our way down to the cave. It required careful clambering down the steep descent. Also, both on the trail and cave there were were very slippery mossy rocks.


Jack and Kurt
I was very thankful for my water shoes, which my Mom so thoughtfully packed for me and had excellent grip and were very comfortable.  Finally, we made our way down to the cave and prepared to swim.
The water was about 85 degrees, extremely comfortable, and I swam for a little bit. Then Kurt and Joe asked me if I wanted to explore the other side of the cave which required getting out of the water and climbing up the rocks in the cave, which, like early mentioned rocks, were very slippery and required careful navigation.
In the deeper cave,  Kurt suggested I jump off the ledge of the rock, which was roughly about ten feet. There were rocks on the ceiling that I had to be careful not to hit when I jumped. The first time, Kurt shined a flashlight so I could see when to jump.
Jumping Jack, not much of a flash!
I did not hesitate and after judging my jump, I took the step off the rock and leaped with my head down as not to hit the rock on the ceiling. I cleared the rock and soared towards the pool at surprising speed which was quite exhilarating indeed.

Before I could think anything else, I impacted the water and soon swam up to the surface, pleased that I had my first cave rock jump.  I did this jump two more times then swam a bit.
For lunch I had an orange and a granola bar to satisfy my appetite, both of which were very good. After lunch, we swam some more or in my case explored another, smaller cave with Joe, and lounged on a rock.
Then we got the startling news that Joe's and our cars had been broken into. We quickly got up and ran up the steep hill to assess the damage. The back left passenger windows on both of the cars had been smashed.

After trying to figure out who had done the deed, we made our way to the police station, filed our report and made our way home.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment: