Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday Adventures

Hockey Player Jack

Learning how to skate! I look better than I actually was at this point!
On the court in skates, both firsts for me!

Today began the as the rest of the days on my most Excellent Guamanian Adventure! At the morning coffee, we worked out our Plan of the Day (POD).

There were two showings of the play Robin Hood that Jaiden and Nyah were in (as foresters, people in Sherwood Forest), at 10 and 2 o clock. The whole family went to see them at 10 O'Clock!

I have to say that I was impressed, given the cast had only auditioned on Monday and only had 18 hours to learn their lines, songs and movements!!! The play was amazing!

The play was so great that after lunch, I went with Mary to the 2 O'Clock showing. That show was just as awesome as the first!

After the play, we headed home. Then, I went with Kurt and Jeremy, who works for Kurt, to visit a baseball card collector to find some Derek Jeter cards and see if any cards that Kurt had picked up were great finds. Unfortunately the latter proved to be the case! But the guy did find some Jeter cards for Jeremy!
Marines going ashore at Asan Beach, 21 July 1944

Marines at Asan Beach 1944
Photograph of the World War II Landing at Asan Beach (gift from Kurt)
We headed back home and got ready to go to a barbecue/bible study/hockey game hosted by Steve, a Navy SEAL!!

When we got there, Kurt introduced me to Steve, who was a very nice man He had a great sermon on skates, about always going on the offensive against Satan, never turning your vulnerable side where he can get you, and how you to truly believe must act!

The food was really good! I had steak, potatoes and a sish kabob and some jalapeno poppers! Then I began learning how to roller blade! I fell a couple of times, but once I got the hang of it, could skate around without falling down too much!

I then decided to play in the game that night! I was a down low guy as my teammate Billy dubbed me, hanging by the other teams goal to catch the rebounds!

I got in several scuffles but always hung in there for my team (Blue)! I was benched several times as normal, but I played the last two games straight!

Hockey impact point
More impact

When I was done, I actually managed to skate out of the hockey court with no assistance whatsover!  Even though I was really tired and sweaty, I had a blast! Not often I get to play hockey with a bunch of Navy guys and a SEAL to boot!


Jack by goal, Kurt far right
They gave me the jersey that I wore during the game, which was a great honor for me and a very nice gesture on their part! That night I took a shower (hot!) and got ready and headed to bed!

The plan for Sunday is to do a hike at Asan Beach to see the gun emplacements!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment