Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday Adventures: War Relics!

This morning began the same way as every other morning! I awoke at 0540 and freshened up and at 0615 joined Kurt and Mary for the morning cup of coffee. Before though, we drove around the neighborhood, looking for possible cool stuff that people would be giving away. The plan was for Mary to go to "Slug Hill" near the Japanese Mass Burial site on Orote and do runs up and down the hill, and do various exercises at the top and bottom of the hill.

Meanwhile, Kurt and Mary told me that there was a pathway into the jungle nearby, across from the War Dogs Memorial, which would lead into the jungle and take me to a Japanese gun position. I was very stoked, and after our coffee, we went inside, and Kurt showed me once again how to make eggs. I believe that I am getting a hang of this!

At about 0815, we began the walk over, after I grabbed Kurt's machete, which he most graciously let me borrow, and applied copious amount of sunscreen, and put on a hat and got two bottles of water. We arrived at the park at 0830 to drop off the two girls. Then Mary went down with me and showed me the path into the jungle and gave me directions!

Then, at 0830, I was off into the jungle! It was a very beautiful hike, thou humid and sweltering. The trees were beautiful and there was a nice clear path for me to walk on. Eventually, there was a fork in the road. I selected the right path, the one that led higher, reasoning that the gun would have been placed near the cliff side over looking Apra Harbor.

5 minutes later, I was proven right! I caught my first glimpse of the rusting, abandoned, lone Japanese anti aircraft gun. It faced the harbor, pointed level, where it was left 70 years ago or so, the crew probably slain at the site. Searching near by, I found a fuel drum and a shell casing I believe.

Also, looking down the path down the cliff, I saw a shell casing and then I saw a monitor lizard crawling up the path! I quickly snapped two pictures as it froze! Then it scurried off to the left! I then went down the path that lead up and to the left of the gun, and after a couple of hundred of feet, I found a overgrown building, which I suspect was a Japanese command post.

After having hacked through the overgrowth, finding nothing of interest in the building, I turned around and headed back down the path. On the way back, I found two sake bottles, what a surprise! Then as I past the building that one has to pass on the trail, I saw a large metal object which I believe is a section of a aircraft wing. I aim to find out what aircraft!

I went out back to the War Dog Memorial, which commemorates the 25 K-9s killed in the Battle of Guam. It was a moving tribute for those faithful companions. I returned and met up with Mary and the kids and after stopping to talk to one of Mary's workout friends, We headed back home. Kristyna soon left to to shopping with a friend, and Mary and the girls left to go to the pool. And I elected to stay at home to relax!

The rest of the afternoon has passed rather peacefully! After Kristyna got back. We hung out and talked. Then soon enough Mary and the kids arrived home. Then Mary and I headed to the commissary and got food for dinner. We ended up having BLTs! And a guy who works for Kurt stopped by with a lamp and then they began discussing the intricacies of negotiating for goods! (The lamp)!

Kurt showed me a water canteen with bullet holes from the Battle of Guam which is impressive! I am having a great time, but am looking forward to coming home and sharing stories about my travels!

Jack

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like another totally great day from Guam, where America's day begins! love, mom

    ReplyDelete